Kelvinside Academy was opened in 1878 by the Kelvinside Academy Company Ltd. After the First World War, as a memorial to former pupils who had been killed in action, The Kelvinside Academy War Memorial Trust was formed and the assets of the Company were acquired by the Trust. Having formerly been grant-aided, the school became fully independent in 1985 and co-educational in 1998. The ethos of the school is Christian, though non-denominational, and adherents of all religious faiths are welcome.
Kelvinside Academy is housed in a Grade A listed building, designed by the renowned Scottish architect James Sellars. Although the building has been extensively upgraded and modernised for 21st Century learning, it retains the sense of tradition and honour that distinguishes its proud history.